AHSE Code of Ethics
This code of ethics provides governance for three main domains of concern:
First, it specifies professional standards which allow for the proper discharge of Hanna Somatic Educators' responsibilities to the clients they are serving;
Secondly, it protects the integrity of Hanna Somatic Education® (HSE®), the Association for Hanna Somatic Education® Inc. (AHSE), and the professional members of the AHSE;
and Finally, it safeguards the interests and persons of the clients under the care of Hanna Somatic Education® practitioners.
As a certified practitioner, or as a practitioner-in-training practicing under the limitations imposed upon pre-certified students of HSE®, or as a Licensed Trainer of HSE®, I agree that I will:
- Hold a sincere commitment to providing the highest quality of care to all persons who seek out my professional services.
- Represent my professional qualifications accurately, including education and professional affiliations, and provide only those services which I am qualified to perform by training and experience.
- Inform the general public, clients, and other health care practitioners accurately about the scope and limitations of HSE® practices.
- Acknowledge the limitations of and contraindications to the application of HSE® practices, and refer clients to appropriate health professionals as needed.
- Provide HSE® care only when there is a reasonable expectation that the care will be advantageous to the client.
- Maintain and improve my professional certification, knowledge, and skills through ongoing assessment of my professional strengths and weaknesses, and through continued education and training.
- Observe honesty and integrity in conducting my business and professional activities, and refuse to unjustly discriminate against clients or other ethical health professionals.
- Safeguard the confidentiality of all client information unless disclosure is authorized by the client, required by law or court order, or absolutely necessary for the protection of the public at large.
- Respect the client's right to receive care with informed and voluntary consent. The consent may be either written or verbal and will be obtained before providing any HSE® care.
- Honor the client's right to refuse, request modification of, or terminate care regardless of prior consent given.
- Ensure the safety, comfort, and privacy of all clients in my provision of care.
- Exercise my right to refuse to work with a person or part of the body for reasonable cause.
- Refrain, under any circumstances, from initiating or engaging in any sexual conduct, activities, or sexualizing behavior involving a client, even if the client attempts to sexualize the relationship.
- Avoid any influences, activities or interests which might conflict with my obligation to always act in the best interests of my clients or profession.
- Follow all policies, procedures, guidelines, regulations, codes, and requirements put forth by the AHSE and by any governmental regulatory agencies.
- Practice courteous professional relationships with HSE® and allied professional colleagues.
This forum is accessed via the Yahoo! Groups site. Please follow this link to sign up and subscribe.